Pauline Hanson has accused police of trying to put her “back in jail” after officers revealed they had “received reports of crime” over her controversial remarks about Muslims.
The One Nation leader faced backlash this week after asking during a Sky News interview on Monday: “How can you tell me there are good Muslims?”
A spokesman for the AFP on Friday told NewsWire the agency was “aware of comments made during a media interview earlier this week”.
“The AFP has received reports of crime in relation to this matter. Further comment will be made at an appropriate time,” they said.
Responding to reports of the AFP’s statement, Senator Hanson said in a Facebook post: “In other words, they’re trying to use Labor’s new hate speech laws to put me back in jail.
“Let me send a very clear message to those within Labor and the left side of politics. Stop gaslighting the Australian public.”
She went on to reference the Bondi Beach terrorist attack and 2014 Lindt Cafe Siege, claiming if Australians did not “speak out now our nation will fall victim to the same issues” in Europe, the UK, and Canada, in what appeared to be a reference to migration.
As of 5.30pm, the post had been commented on more than 1100 times and shared almost 300 times.
One Nation MP Barnaby Joyce said he was not aware of the AFP’s statement and that he “can’t really comment on it”.
“I don’t know anything about it. I need details. Who, where, what? What are we talking about?” he told ABC.
Police have reportedly ‘received reports of a crime’ after Pauline Hanson’s controversial remarks about Muslims. Picture: NewsWire / John Gass
Mr Joyce had appeared to distance himself from Senator Hanson’s comments earlier in the week, but on Friday, while agreeing there were “Muslims who are very good people”, said he would “hope” that a majority of Muslim Australians did not follow puritanical interpretations of Islam.
Senator Hanson doubled down on the comments throughout the week, despite on Wednesday “apologising” for offending certain Muslim Australians.
“If there was a person out there who was a Muslim and does not support sharia law, female circumcision, child marriages, who do not support our culture, wildlife and our laws, then I apologise,” she said during a heated TV interview with Sky News host Chris Kenny.
Pressed by Kenny, who said he would give her the opportunity to apologise to Australia’s one million Muslims, she continued: “I’ve stated my case … and I’ve said, if I’ve offended people on what my beliefs are and they are Muslim, then I do apologise to those people”.
At times speaking over one another, Senator Hanson told Mr Kenny “you won’t shut me down”.
Her comments were widely condemned by both sides of the political aisle, especially from political leaders in Sydney’s west, including NSW Digital Government Minister Jihad Dib and Canterbury-Bankstown Mayor Bilal El-Hayek.
Mr El-Hayek told the ABC on Friday morning that Senator Hanson “should be charged”.
“It’s an open and shut case. What she said was highly inflammatory,” he said.
anterbury-Bankstown Mayor Bilal El-Hayek, left, with Bondi hero Ahmed Al Ahmed and Governor-General Ms Sam Mostyn. Picture: NewsWire Handout
Mr El-Hayek said the hate speech laws were “quite clear”.
“There is specific reference made of public incitement of hatred, discrimination, or violence against protected groups based on race, religion, or gender,” he said.
“Clearly, her target was clearly the Muslim people. And I have no doubt that her remarks will incite someone.”
Mr El-Hayek’s council area is made up of 23 per cent Muslim residents, according to the 2021 census.
Nationals senator Matt Canavan said the comments were “divisive, inflammatory [and] un-Australian” and that Senator Hanson was “not fit to lead a major party”.
The comments come as Lakemba Mosque, Australia’s largest, received its third threatening letter, which is now being investigated by NSW Police.
Senator Hanson’s team were contacted for comment.
Leave a Reply